Monday, March 29, 2010

It has been utterly fascinating to ponder the juxtaposition of the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment and Pauline Oliveros.

I see no reason why people cannot take in all kinds of acoustical combinations. Some effort may be required and some rules may have to be observed. For example: a cappella singing is incompatible with equal temperament. That does not mean that all singing has to be a cappella nor does it mean that the piano is incompatible with temperaments that are not exactly equal.

Let me explain: If the ear of the pianist is open to the proposition that overtones of unlike instruments will not match no matter what, the fine arts of pedalling and touch can enable music of the most unlikely combinations with piano.

I know it's possible. I've done it, sometimes over the objection of colleagues. The most memorable occasion was a duo with piano and guitar which I performed with an extremely fussy guitarist, Massimo Felice. If that could work I dare say anything can be made to work.

What is required is an open, honest ear.