Friday, November 12, 2010

Think for a moment about the real deal vs. phony baloney. It gets harder and harder to tell the difference, or rather the distinctions become more difficult to define as expertise abounds and content dwindles.

Thinking about how many note-perfect musicians the schools are churning out is mind-boggling. Pondering how many truly unforgettable performances I have heard from young musicians is mind-boggling in the opposite direction.

I pay a lot of attention to young performers (and heartily recommend that you do likewise) because they are the real windows into the present state of the art.

I start with the young children who study with me: Their notions of sound instruct my ear as to the state of music in our era. If you have occasion to hear young players of any age you might consider this mode of listening.