Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Close to the Spark

This is how I describe my approach to teaching young children to play the piano.  The spark is inside of each child, principally in their ear/imagination, and also coming from the inexhaustible riches of the piano sound. 

After decades of figuring out how to teach children to play in a way that enriches their lives forever, I am at last confident that the connection between the hand and the ear lies in the sense of touch, and that this can be awakened and refined from day one.  Once awakened it provides a reliable link to creativity in reading the music of others as well as in making music of one's own. 

I am actively seeking students to fill slots vacated by moves away to college, to new homes out of state.  If you know of possible candidates please direct them to this blog or have them contact me directly.